Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Wednesday Walks: The Energy of a Place


Autumn is descending in the South.


And I can't seem to get enough time outside. Though I love our woods, it's always fun to explore new woods, and we had the chance a couple of weeks ago when we visited friends staying at a family estate in Edgefield County.


Natural places have an energy all their own. I instantly felt the energy of these woods. It was inviting, beckoning us in, and the deeper we went, the more I felt pulled to keep going.


We were miles away from the nearest neighbor, but we were far from alone. I always consider seeing a snake to be a good sign, and this guy was nice enough to pose before going about his merry way!

He might just become my new background photo on Facebook!
It wasn't just the critters, though. There was a sense, in these woods, that you were in the midst of multiple times simultaneously, as if you'd walked far away from the present and found yourself in the woods of your ancestors. Perhaps it's the Cherokee in me, but Southern woods always feel like home. And let me tell you, energy here was so strong it was almost palpable! Perhaps because this land has been essentially undisturbed for decades, even though remnants of when it was once worked and farmed long ago still remain, slowly being reclaimed by nature.


I was told there were burial mounds further across this meadow, and I wasn't surprised. In these woods, you could feel the presence of those who were here before you almost as if they were walking by your side.


And of course, there were mushrooms!!!

He was so teeny tiny!!!

They're getting bigger...



This guy took the cake - I think we could have camped out under him!
And of course, it pays to notice when you've entered the faery realm!






These woods held such a magic and mystery that I was mesmerized. I can't wait to go exploring in them again!


Today is my mother's birthday and we're off to celebrate as soon as work and school come to an end. Mid-week celebrations make the necessity of work more bearable, don't they? Happy trails to you, and I hope you can get out and explore some new woods soon!


1 comment:

Amanda Stone said...

Oh how I love your blogs!!! I miss out on so much due to being terrified of snakes and spiders :(
Your life truly amazes me. What a Blessing you and your Son are!! Happy Trails to You ♡