Monday, January 21, 2013

Every Moment

I went to be last night full of enthusiasm for writing about the weekend my son and I spent in Atlanta and Athens. We visited an awesome shop, saw some friends we've not seen in years, ate some amazing foods, and had an all-out fabulous time. I went to bed last night exhausted, but on cloud nine. I had so much to say; I was going to let it marinate while I slept and write about it this morning.

Then I woke up to the tragic news of the sudden death of a friend and former co-worker. She was my age; we were birthday buddies, with our special days only 3 days apart. As co-workers years ago, we'd been very close. I was a bridesmaid in her wedding, and often saw her with her husband and son out and about it shops and restaurants. She was beautiful inside and out, a radiant spirit whose eyes always shone with a geniune happiness to see you.

I'm just rocked by this tragic, terrible news. Nothing I can say in this post could summarize how unpredicatable and seemingly unfair life can often be. Not knowing what to say would be an understatement; this is one of those times when words simply fail. It's a time of action, support, care and concern for those closest to her - parents, husband, son. I face today with the knowledge that every moment genuinely is precious.

This is not just a trite saying; it's a fact. We hear those words so often, yet we still manage to waste time; hold grudges; hurt others; be afraid; stay in stasis; accept the status quo; tell ourselves we can't live the lives we want; that our dreams are too far out of reach.

Or that we have time. That the infamous 'one day' is actually coming. We'll do it one day, when the kids are grown; when we retire; when we have more money; in spring, in summer; when we're less consumed by the daily demands of living. We tell ourselves there will come a day and a time when we'll really be living.

Friend, that time is now. There is no other; nothing is promised. The news I woke to this morning reminded me of that. There is no other time than the moment we are in. You don't have to be doing huge, grand things to be living fully...but you should be happy with your life, and if you aren't you should immediately take strides to do whatever it takes to make you as happy as it is possible to be. You know what you want, deep down. So pursue it. Now, because nothing is guaranteed except for this: no matter how long of a life you are blessed with, it's going to be too short.

 I am so saddened by the passing of my friend. Though I have no doubt that she truly lived and loved every minute of her life, thirty-nine years is not nearly enough.



1 comment:

Virginia ("Ginn") said...

A hundred years is not enough time. In her passing, your dear friend has given you a gift; reminding you that our mortal lives are vulnerable and short, even when they span a century or more (like my Aunt Mary Jeys Wood who died last week at age 107). But one's spirit - ahhhhh - THAT is another story! <3 <3 <3 - Ginn