Sunday, May 18, 2014

Making New Memories at Star Fort

This hasn't been the easiest week. Coming to terms with difficult choices, learning to live with a new normal, and making space for sadness in order to process things in a healthy way that allows for acceptance of truths and moving on in a timely manner...all while working a full-time job and parenting a child and maintaining a home...you might easily imagine I was very much looking forward to the weekend. Though I'd taken a few days off at the beginning of the week, there is just something special about weekends.

Yesterday, I woke up to a rare 50 degree May morning, and took a great long run. My son rode along with me on his bike, which I love, because it means he's getting fresh air, time outside, and good exercise along with me. Then we headed over to one of our favorite places, The Star Fort in Ninety Six, South Carolina.


I wasn't initially keen to go here, as I did not want to revist memories of the last time we had come to Star Fort. However, there was a living history event taking place, with people dressed in period clothing and fun Revolutionary War-era games and crafting demonstrations. My son had heard about it and was really eager to go.

So we did. We enjoyed the living history and participating in the sack racing...


Then we headed down the trail for some fort touring and a little gun play!



Along the way, we came upon a sign we've always stopped and looked at, a sign which leads to a different path than the one we usually wander along. I've often said one day we'd walk that path and see what mysteries it held. Though I'm not a spontaneous person by nature, I decided, in that moment, why not walk it today? I wasn't really dressed or prepared for deep woods exploring, but I decided to be more spontaneous person and so we headed out!

 
I was so thrilled to be out in nature, seeing new things...



My son was ecstatic that we were finally exploring this new trail. And he found a treasure!


I stopped often, took in the sights and sounds, allowed the beauty, quiet and calm to still me...



Each new moment served to help erase the memories I associated with the last time I was here.  Reclaiming this place with a new experience of it somehow made me feel so much better. Or maybe it was just being out in nature. No one else was around. The trail went on for miles...




So much spring growth and green and beauty. An owl, swooping through the trees. Hawks crying out. Something scurrying away as we approached. Woodland butterflies in such abundance they were literally bouncing off our foreheads and shoulders.


Far along the trail, we turned around, deciding to go no further as grey clouds were beginning to block out the sun and cause a damp coolness to settle in. We found a different trail and exited from a different path, seeing more new sights on the way out.


Later, there would be a trip to Lowes to buy new patio furniture (something long overdue), dinner out with a friend, and coffee + late evening conversation on the patio...


This day would be one of peace, laughter, time in nature, quality time with my son. A day of new memories to take to place of old.

And on this rainy Sunday morning, I'm realizing that might just be the key to healing, really.... 




No comments: